Saturday, January 13, 2007

"Boulevard of broken dreams"

The city of ‘The Gateway of india’ and the ‘Victoria Terminus’,

The city of the ‘Shree Sidhivinayak’ and the ‘Haji Ali’,

The city of the ‘Marine Drive’ and the Bandra Band Strand,

The city of the Fashion Street and the innumerable malls,

The city of the Bombay Stock Exchange and the Bollywood,

The city of the Dawoods and the Salems,

The city of the rich and the poor,

The city that never sleeps.

The city of DREAMS. Mumbai.

Here I am again, waiting for my train to chennai at the Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus. (CST, it was previously known as the Victoria Terminus). I like to pronounce myself a true optimist who sees the glass half full and not half empty, so I hope to get atleast one ‘XY’ material in my compartment. After all I am boarding a train from the city of dreams. (For those who do not know about my fetish for this dream please read my previous post titled ‘Mumbai Calling’).

My ticket wasn’t confirmed but at the last moment I found my name besides S8, 48, on the confirmation chart. Thanks to God, it seemed it was my lucky day.

Last time around I was cursing my lady luck, so God decided to give me a surprise. And boy, did he surprise me? I found myself in the company of 7 ladies in my compartment. Does that sound exciting? No way!!! They were all above 60 and I am not a pervert. Dude who says I don’t have a lady luck? So, when you have 7, sixty plus ladies accompanying you on a train journey what can you expect? I really didn’t had any expectations but, these Dadis were kind enough and they started singing bhajans in their shrill voice. Now can you beat that? Great, what more? Finally, Mr. Steve Jobs came to my rescue. Thank god, I had my iPod with me. So here I am sitting with my iPod, earphones stuck hard into my ears and the volume to the full as Green Day sings “the boulevard of broken dreams”.

7 comments:

COALESCED said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
COALESCED said...

I really wish ki railway reservstion requisition forms have option of preferred co passengers:

Age Sex Location


Good job!!! Waiting for the next one!!:)

Garam Bheja Fry said...

good ONE!! Ahh how much i have longed for so many years to have the lucky 7 Fs in my compartment...

Don't worry dude.flights have a better spread.and which i am sure you would embark on soon by Nmurthy's grace..:P

looking fwd to your scrap which reads "new post" :)

shubhu said...

well well trvelling with 7 dadis with you is a lot better than 7 very concerned citizens any day...

and no wonder 'luck' is stree ling in our vyakaran...:P

friends _m_here said...

hmmm i really dont have words to explain how it feels when u r having company of 7 dadis....though if u wanted they could have sang lorii in stead of bhajans, so that u could have slept nicely..but really thanks to gadgets they are there when ppl really needs them....good work ..carry on expecting more frm u

Unknown said...

well kabhi kabhi dadis bhi achi hoti hain..but new generations need to depend on bedasi music n songs instead....well i can understand sometimes 1 or 2 dadi is enough to eat a head n ur luck landed u with 7 dadis...haha all da best n keep writing

bornagain said...

yaar tune to dukhti rag pe haanth rakh diya ,
I had a similar exper. when i was coming 4m mumbai to udupi, the only diff was that i was surrounded not by 'dadis' but around 40 'DADAJIS' in the whole compartment, all southindians n returnnig 4m some ayappa mandir in POWAI
as u can guess, they were singing bhajans, but the worst part was that they were singing in..(actualy not sure, which southindian language)
n well , i dint have n ipod,but my cell moto V3i was fully CHARGED n LOADED ...(with songs).