Thursday, January 11, 2007

Mumbai Calling !!!

My 7th Semester exams were over and suddenly I found myself so much idle. I had nothing to do except to click the ‘refresh’ icon on the Orkut page to see if my scrap count has increased. I live with four guys of my college. All of them are very good friends of mine but, we hardly get to talk to each other. Actually all of them are ‘going out’ with some girls of my college. So when I wake up at 10 AM in the morning, I find myself alone in our flat and ‘The Hindu’ staring at me pleading me to read it. No, I am not what you think, I am definitely straight. No offence intended, it’s just that I am not very comfortable with this “patao, satao aur hatao” business. I used to start my day reading all the crappy news from India and all over the world. Thanks to “The Hindu-since 1878”, my god, that’s a lot of crap! The rest of the day I sat in front of my PC, orkutting. It sucked but, I had no choice. In short, “life bore maar raha tha yaar”. Its was during one of these days when I was browsing the net, sitting alone in my flat that my uncle (mama) called. This is the conversation that we had.

me: Hello mamu, kaise hain aap?

mamaji: Main think hoon, tera sab kaisa chal raha hai?

me: sab thik hai, abhi semesters khatam huye, awaiting my results.

mamaji: Acha tu wahan Chennai mein kya kar raha hai?? Yahan mumbai kyun nahi chala aata ??

me : Mumbai ? Wahan jake main kya karunga ?

mamaji: Arey yahan ghumne k liye kitne jagah hai. Tu aa ja.

I thought this was a good opportunity to get rid of my boredom

me: Thik hai mamaji, main ticket karwa leta hoon.

mamaji: Achi baat hai, jaldi ticket karwa ke aa ja. Rakhta hoon.

So, my mamaji came to my rescue. I went to the reservation office that day and bought the tatkal tickets for Mumbai.

Day: 23rd Dec, 2006

Time: 23:54

Location: Somewhere in Tamil Nadu, inside the Mumbai mail, coach S6, berth 67

As I was sitting on my upper birth, I decided to pen down a few words.

I am going to Mumbai. It has been almost an hour that the train departed from Chennai. As usual, I had hoped that I would have some pretty girl for my company in the train but, as luck would have it, I was disappointed. My berth no. is 67, that means my coup is just besides the toilet. To make matters worse I have seven middle aged men for my company. Out of them four are Telugus, staying in the Andamans. They proudly told that they were a group of 30 pilgrims going to Shirdi. The other three men are busy in their heated discussion about the state of the Indian Railways. They are having a nice GD and each one is trying to impress each other by stating facts that even the railways doesn’t know. They know so much about our great nation!!! One of them has a great sense of humor, criticizing the ‘system’, he says “Mera Bharaat mahaan, 100 mein se 99 beiman”. In between all this I sit on my berth cursing my lady luck. I really want to grab some sleep but, the critics are busy discussing the new ‘tatkal’ and the ‘waiting’ schemes, and how Mr. Lalu made Railways a success story. So I decide to give away my sleep and flip through the pages of the Business World.

13 comments:

COALESCED said...

Rightly said bandhu!! Each time i board a train, I expect @least one of the co passenger to be from much sought after category but to my hard luck that hasn't materialised till date.
Still the hope is on!!!

Bhalo kaaj!!! Keep it up!!!

Anonymous said...

..it wz smooooth..kewl so easily u explnd the presen scenario f india..i.e the debatin ppl f india who cn alwayz talk bt cn ner do..i found t tat way..bt the startin..??guess somethin s bit wrong..

Anonymous said...

bilkul thik kaha yaar..... isiliye to is desh ka kuch hota nahi!!!!! arrey larki nahi to kuch nahi.... agar waha pe ek achhi larki hoti... sirf ek... good lukin grl.... da cnvrstns wud hv bn dffrnt!!!! he he he...... lolz.....

shubhu said...

hmmmm....badhiya likha....but u cud really pep up the account a bit more... a nice effort nevertheless.. keep it up!!!

Amy said...

u r absolutelu rite evn mine luck a seal tooo.... in ma case 6 hr jurney wth a tamil choti dhar tilak wala pandit... too boring tho my bf ws ry happy abt it.....hope sometimes lady luk wll def shower her blessng on US

Garam Bheja Fry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Garam Bheja Fry said...

Hmm hope someday Mumbai calls your's truly too!! :)..yeah even i look for that special code F19 -> F22 on the reservation chart pasted near the entrance..:)..good to see you are back on the blogging circuit..
idhar bahut kam bhaailog hai yaar..mere ko akele dar lagta hai :P..and i agree with shubhankar..
keep writing..!!

friends _m_here said...

hmmm well said..but the thing is that u have to cope with all of these as its not in ur hand... n indian ppl r like that only...so better thing is dont be bother about the crap...
ppl know everything i really mean to say they in act in that way only but not gonna do anything bcoz atma mar chuka hain aisa insan o desh hain ye so kuch nehi ho sakta....n its ppl tendency to draw the attention towards him/her,so better enjoy the each n every moment of our day today's life just by monitoring the ppl n their reactions....n have fun ..n regarding the writing skill i must say well try ..but if u write more on the present scenario of the society, the wreckage of the broken backbone of ppl's spirit or mind then u will be getting more no of views n which helps to understand ppl n see them with a third eye opening...carry on.... more like this is the expectation of us..cheers

Anonymous said...

dude... at times these co-passengers are really bugging... But u know wht?? thts a good timepass..there was 1 time, when i got 2 TTEs discussing abt our collge... it was fun coz i got to know a lot which i dint know after 3.5 yrs of stay in the collge.even the chacellor would have fainted... anyway.. tht was a good presentation.. one more thing... i guess everyone is not with the patao,satao aur hatao concept

Anonymous said...

sahi kaha mere dost......hamare desh me sirf nasihat hi to free mein milti hai aur train mein to kuch zyada hi achchi tarah se pata chalta hai yeh......nyways it was gud.....n apne lady luck se itne kafa kyun ho....chill yaar tera vhi time aayega naa.......

shravanaugustus said...

ya u r right.train journeys make u feel so much abt ur luck.

bornagain said...

Arre yaar, the problem is not with ur
lady luck but the problem is with our gr8 country 'INDIA'. just look at
the sex ratio, agar aisa hi chalta raha to kuchh salo mein ladkiya will become rare material.
i think that goverment should make it complsary 4 every one to have 2 girls n 1 boy as child, so that ppl like us can have enough of them.
raha baat tere un 'middle aged' ppl ke debate ka, then i must tell u , that these ppl state false facts so confidently that sometime i start doubting myself 'kahin mere ko hi to galat nahi maulum........'

Anonymous said...

see ... first of all i believe ... a human thinking is just a mirror image of it state of mind ... we think human thoughts are self generated ... That's what termed as "CREATIVITY".... but if you do a deeper analysis you can find a very interesting yet mysterious ( still have to think) aspects of it .. Human thinking which we consider a random function ... it actually not one ... it has a mirror mapping function of the state of mind(NOT A RANDOM FUNCTION) ... You can tell me why i am saying all this in this context ... the reason is very simple ... Your work and the KEYBOARD strokes here are really outstanding with the current state of mind of yours ... I can understand .... GURU .... Self employment
…… Enterprise of your own …..

And why you have this line first ….

"The country has lost iconic proof of what an ordinary Indian fired by the spirit of enterprise and driven by determination can achieve in his own lifetime."

-Atal Bihari Vajpaye, the ex-Prime Minister of India

Good job Dear ..